- The Syrian Civil War is an ongoing multisided armed conflict with international interventions taking place in Syria
- It began in the early 2011 as part of the Arab Spring protests, with nationwide protests against Syrian government, whose forces responded with crackdowns
- The conflict gradually morphed from mass protests to an armed rebellion and also became sectarian in nature with government forces, militias and other Shia groups fighting primarily against Sunni dominated rebel groups
- Syrian government received technical, financial, military and political support from Russia, Iran and Iraq
- Due to foreign involvement, the conflict had been called a proxy war between the regional powers
- Russia and Iran are backing the Syrian regime while US, Saudi Arabia and Turkey are supporting the rebels
- It is the first conflict since the end of the cold war where both US and Russia are militarily involved
- Islamic State (IS) has taken advantage of the long drawn civil war to become more powerful and occupy large territory
- The growing refugee crisis in the West has forced the US and its European allies to accelerate efforts to find a solution to the conflict
- The Syria peace talks are also known as the Vienna Process and was first held in Vienna (Austria) on 30 October 2015 at the level of foreign ministers
- The participants, since the second round of the talks are known as the International Syria Support Group (ISSG), which consists of: the Arab League, China, Egypt, the EU, France, Germany, Iran, Iraq, Italy, Jordan, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, UAE, the UK, the UN, US
A very common query of civil services examination aspirants is which magazine should be read for comprehensive preparation. The answer to ...
Wednesday, December 23, 2015
Syria Crisis - UN Resolution 2254
The continuing civil war in Syria and the dramatic rise of Islamic State (IS) and more importantly the Refugee crisis in Europe has made the world powers understand the gravity of the problem. The UN Security Council Resolution No.2254 adopted unanimously calls for a ceasefire between the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and the rebels within a month and the establishment of a credible, inclusive and non-sectarian government in Damascus in 6 months time. I have listed below some of the important points regarding Syrian Civil War that one should know for better understanding.
Syrian Civil War